What is Sustainable Architecture?
The fact that the negative impact on nature in today’s humanity has reached levels that cannot be ignored, and the damage to ecology is irreversible in the near future, makes it an obligation for humanity to make sustainable and environmentally friendly new experiences and Decisions in every industry. Sustainable architecture, necessity, formed as a result of appearing that have grown out of the need for this purpose, construction, decoration, industry, infrastructure and landscaping, including any job within the architectural, aims to encourage the balance of the ecosystem in a way that will not harm. This situation causes architects to produce intelligent designs that will cause minimal damage to the ecological system.
In the most general terms, according to the information we have, the general and most specific meaning of the term sustainable Architecture can be explained as buildings designed to limit the impact of humanity on the environment.
Production processes, materials, logistics, wastes and installations, which are in line with sustainable Architectural principles, should be managed in a way that causes the least damage to nature as much as possible. When the global breadth of the construction sector and its impact on other industries are taken into account, it is calculated that every environmentally friendly step taken with the idea of Sustainable Architecture will cause a global change.
Each step in the process that occurs in buildings produced in accordance with the term Sustainable Architecture – planning, selection of materials, heating, cooling, waste and ventilation, design and implementation of plumbing systems, integration of the area where the building is located into the natural landscape, etc.- is guided by the consideration of the well-being of the environment.
Buildings designed with Sustainable Architecture have certain characteristics;
* Buildings produce at least as much energy as they consume.
* They are integrated into the habitat of the environment in which they are located.
• It focuses on minimizing the impact of people on nature to a minimum level.
* Materials that decompose in nature and can be renewed are used in apartment designs. (Wood, Bamboo,Linen, etc.)
* Renewable Energy sources; Solar panels, natural heating, cooling and ventilation systems are in use. Thus, waste and environmentally harmful energy consumption are reduced to a minimum.
* Traditional materials such as concrete and plastic are replaced by sustainable alternatives in Building Construction.
* Designs are created that allow humanity to be at one with nature and unite people and nature Decently. (living walls created from trees, skyscrapers covered with plants, etc.)
As an Example of Sustainable Architecture, Bird Friendly Building Designs (Bird Friendly Building Designs) can be given as Applied in the United States.
• Research programs such as our own Safe Flight Project have revealed that up to one billion birds die in glass collisions in the United States every year, and the conservation community has begun to realize the seriousness of this threat to birds in recent years, so that the call for help they want from architects and design experts does not go unanswered.
With the efforts of Architects and Decisionists, there are many ways to design buildings that minimize the risk of harm to birds, bird-friendly construction materials options and solutions that make glass visible to birds.
The glass facades of modern office buildings pose a danger not only for birds.
The glass facades can also significantly increase energy consumption for heating and cooling. As a result, bird-friendly design elements are now generally accepted as an integral part of sustainable design.